New Zealand - South Pacific District of Kiwanis International
1999 Convention Information Page
This page contains information about the 1999 district
convention, held 27-28 August, 1999 in Mt. Wellington on
the North Island of New Zealand just south of Auckland. The
convention was hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Papakura and was chaired by Governor Mike Boyd of Kiwanis Club of Rotowhenua.
Cette page n'est pas disponible en franšais.
About the venue:
The convention was held at
the Waipuna International Hotel
and Conference Center in Mt. Wellington.
The convention center ( Waipuna ) is situated by the Waipuna Basin and is 15 minutes from the Auckland city center.
All workshops, trustees meetings and social events were held at the
Waipuna Convention Center for ease of all participants attending.
The "Fun Time" theme was well carried out at the 'fancy dress party'
(costume party) organized for Friday night and the dinner/dance on
Saturday. The partners program was a bus tour of Auckland
including the facilities for the 1999/2000 Americas Cup race that
were being built at the time.
Counties Convention - A Fun Time in '99'
- Program - Preconvention - Thursday, 26 August, 1999
- 10:00-12:00 - District Foundation Trust meeting
- 13:30-16:00 - 1998/99 district trustees meeting
- 16:00-17:00 - district finance committee meeting
- 16:00-18:00 - registration
- 19:00 - dinner for past governors
- Program - Day 1 - Friday, 27 August, 1999
- 07:30 onwards - registration
- 09:00 - opening ceremony. Speaker: Rosie Horton
- 09:45-12:00 - business session
(call to order, apologies, roll call, remembrance,
adoption of standing rules, appointment of parlementarian,
introduction and address by International Trustee Hyun Soo Kim,
voting on proposed bylaw amendments - a new set of bylaws was
adopted, district officers' reports, strategic planning
report, treasurer's report, finance committee report)
- 12:00-13:15 lunch
- 13:30-16:00 - business session
(world service project, voting on proposed dues
increase - district dues were raised from NZ$40.50 to NZ$45.00,
forum - work smart by guest motivator Jane Erickson)
- 16:00-17:00 workshops
(publicity: Lt. Governor Lin Thompson, club
enrichment: Lt. Governor Tony Popplewell and
Gus Erickson )
- 18:00-18:45 1998/99 Governor's awards presentations
- 18:45-19:30 pre-diner drinks
- 19:30-24:00 diner and entertainment - "Initial" night
- Program - Day 2 - Saturday, 28 August, 1999
- 07:15 past lt. governors breakfast meeting
- 08:45-10:30 business sessions
(district policies - approved, resolutions - the resolution
to support the principles on the UN convention on the rights
of the child was adopted, address by Governor Mike Boyd,
election of officers: district foundation trustee - Guy
Probert, district treasurer - Merv Gyde, governor-elect -
Barbara Kelly, governor-designate - Ann Raymond)
- 10:10-10:30 forum - The South Pacific Way to be a Kiwi
(Past Governor Michel Fongue and Lt. Governor Hina Mercier)
- 10:50-11:50 workshops
(publicity: Lt. Governor Lin Thompson, membership
orientation: Lt. Governor Tony Popplewell and
Gus Erickson, planning for excellence: Jane Erickson)
- 11:50-12:10 - addresses by 1999/2000 Governor-elect Barbara
Kelly and International Trustee Hyun Soo Kim
- 12:10-12:30 - video "Dancing with the Moon" and presentation
of World Service Project awards: Robert Lynds
- 12:30-12:45 - address by Jane Erickson - "Go forth and multiply"
- 12:45-13:00 - address by Governor-designate Ann Raymond
- 13:00 convention business closure
- 13:00-14:15 lunch Banquet Hall
- 14:30-16:30 1999/2000 district trustees meeting
(for the new 1999/2000 district officers)
- 18:00-18:45 1999/2000 district officers inductions
- 18:45-19:30 pre-diner drinks
- 19:30-24:00 diner and entertainment
- Program - Postconvention - Sunday, 29 August, 1999
- 09:30-10:00 thanksgiving service
- Friday, 27 August, 1999
- "The Arataki Experience" - a unique view of Auckland including
'Auckland 2000', with lunch provided.
- Saturday, 28 August, 1999
- "Shop until you drop" - individually arranged shopping.
Accommodation and Fees:
A large room at the Waipuna International Hotel
(convention venue) costs NZ$135 per night including tax
regardless of occupancy. The rooms contained two queen size beds
and a single. A full registration fee of NZ$198 per person
included participation at all social events plus morning and
afternoon teas, Friday and Saturday luncheons, workshops and
associated activities including the partners program for
registered partners. A partial registration was available for
the Saturday evening dinner and entertainment at NZ$90 double
or NZ$48 single.
Registrations paid by credit card incured a NZ$5 credit card
Convention Contact Details:
Chairman: Barry Lea
Secretary : Graeme Baker
Club Reports on the 1999 Convention:
A selection of individual Kiwanis club reports on the 1999 district
Convention report from the Kiwanis Club of Te
NZSP District Home Page
/ NZSP 2000 district convention page
Page last updated by
(David Fentress) on 5 August, 2005.
Your comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.